Undergraduate Home Fees and Funding

While you’re studying you’ll have two main costs – tuition fees and living costs. You can get a range of funding to help with these costs.

There’s lots of ­financial help available from the Student Loan Company, the University and external funding sources, that may provide loans (which have to be paid back) and grants, scholarships and bursaries (that don't).

University Scholarships and Bursaries 2018/19

USW Excellence Scholarship 2018.19

The Excellence Scholarship is for new students starting a full time eligible undergraduate honours degree course at the University of South Wales in 2018/19. The Excellence Scholarship forms part of the University’s Unconditional Offer Scheme for High Achievers and is worth £2,000 during your first year of study. Find out more.

USW Progression Bursary 2018.19

We offer our Progression Bursary to college students who choose to top-up their University of South Wales accredited HND or foundation degree to a full honours degree through a full-time top up course at one of our USW campuses. Worth £500, this bursary could provide financial support towards your travel, living and study costs while studying at a University of South Wales campus. Find out more.

Welsh-medium Scholarships 2018.19

The University is awarding ten Welsh-medium Scholarships of £1,000 for UK home students entering the University for the first time in 2018 who commit to study at least 40 credits of an eligible degree course through the medium of Welsh. Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol Scholarships are also available. Find out more.

Tuition Fees

Please find specific information regarding your course fees on the applicable course page.

If you have any queries regarding the cost of tuition fees then please contact the Revenue Unit by emailing revenue@southwales.ac.uk

Details regarding the University's available payment plans can be found on our Revenue Team's pages.

University Scholarships and Bursaries 2017/18

Sports Scholarship 2017.18

The University  is pleased to offer sports scholarships which are designed to support potential elite 
athletes and sports people who are competing at national and international level in their chosen sport. Find out more.

Social Work Bursary 2017/18

Whether you are eligible for a Social Work Bursary will depend on whether you have been nominated for a bursary by the University. If you qualify for a Social Work Bursary, this would be paid in addition to the statutory funding you may receive, e.g. Tuition Fee Support, Maintenance Loans and Grants available.

Please note there are a limited number of bursaries available to students and not all students will be eligible to receive the bursary. For further details, criteria and guides relating to the schemes for students resident in Wales and England visit: 

Social Care Wales The closing date for applications is 1 September 2017

NHSBSA Social Work Bursary website The closing date for applications is 1 November 2017.

Coming to USW Via Clearing? Sort out Your Student Finance!

If you’re going through Clearing make sure you get your money as quickly as possible.

If you’ve already applied for student finance

You must let your funding body know as soon as possible if any of the following has changed:

  • Your course
  • Your university or college

You can update your details online.

  • Log into your account at:

Welsh residents: https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login?_locale=en_CY

English residents: https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance,

Scottish residents: https://myportal.saas.gov.uk/saas/login

Northern Irish residents: http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=54,1265897&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

  • Go to Your Account > Change your application > University/college and course.
  • Update your details.

If you haven’t yet applied for student finance

Apply online now.

You might not get all your student finance in time for the start of your course.

Your funding body shouldl make an initial assessment so you get some money as close to the start of your course as possible.

If you need any assistance, please contact the University's Student Money Advice Team.

Full Time Funding 2018/19

Student Finance Wales Update

Student Finance Wales will be introducing a new system of support to undergraduate students following the Diamond Review.

Every full-time and part-time undergraduate will be able to get support for their living costs while studying (a mix of grants and loans) which will be equivalent to the National Living Wage.

Under the new system, students will be eligible for loans to cover the cost of tuition fees.

*Please see FAQ’s relating to the Diamond Review or see here for further information, further particulars are yet to be confirmed by the Welsh Government.

Full-time Funding 2017/18

When you are studying there will be two main costs

  • your tuition fees and
  • your living costs (maintenance).

You can get student finance to help you with both costs.

Tuition Fee Loan (and Grant in Wales) is non-means tested, so whatever you Fee Charge is you can borrow that amount each academic year (if you have previously studied this may affect your entitlement).

Your maintenance loan is based on household income. This can be:

  • your parents
  • your partner, or,
  • if you are over 25 years old you will be classed as an independent student.

The amount of maintenance loan (and grant in Wales) you receive will also depend upon where you live during your studies, i.e. whether you live away from home or with your parents.

 You will need to apply for your funding before stating your course, the earlier the better, and you will have to reapply for funding every academic year.

To find out how to apply for your funding and the maximum support available from each funding provider please see our Student Loans information.

Part-time Funding

What funding is available for new part time students in 2017/18

All eligible part time students will be able to apply for a non means tested Tuition Fee Loan

    Students from Wales may receive up to £2,625

    Students from England may receive up to £6,750

Support for Course Costs for Students Living in Wales

Part time students living in Wales are eligible to apply for a grant of up to £1,155 for books, travel and other expenditure related to their course. The grant is based on your household income.

Applying for part-time grants (if applicable) and loans 2017/18

The application process for the 2017/18 Academic Year is now open.

Welsh students can apply via Student Finance Wales.

English students can apply via GOV.UK.

Other financial support

You may be able to get extra funding if you have adults or children who are financially dependent on you. This extra funding can include:-

  • Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG)
  • Childcare Grant (CCG)
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA)

You will need to apply to your funding provider for further information.

Further information for estranged or independent students

This guide is for estranged students who are applying for independent status.

Care Leavers

The University of South Wales is committed to providing support for students from care and those leaving care who want to go on to higher education.

We at the University of South Wales can help you at every stage of your university experience, with specialist help and advice before, during and after you are a student with us – leaving you to concentrate on your studies and enjoy university life.

How to contact the Care Leaver Team

To ask further questions and start the support available to you as a Care Leaver please contact the Care Leaver Coordinator

If you not quite sure if you qualify as a Care Leaver please contact us and we can advise you further. If you are a social worker or work on behalf of an organisation such as Barnardos please feel free to contact also.

Previous Study

Previous study may impact in your eligibility for a student loan. Please find further information regarding previous study rules on our Previous Study page and we encourage you to Contact Us or your funding provider if you have any further queries.

Repaying your Student Loan

Information regarding when and how you repay your student loan can be found on our Repaying your Student Loan page.



The University is keen to offer support to student carers, including a Bursary from its Hardship Fund, as it is recognised that caring often has financial implications (such as less availability for paid work and increased travel costs).

The Carers Bursary is worth £1,000 (full-time students) and £500 (part-time/first or final year March starter students) to eligible USW students who are currently unpaid Carers. The Carers Trust definition of a carer is “anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support.” Please note that these duties would be in addition to the usual caring responsibilities that a parent would have for a dependent child.

Students who received the Bursary in 2016/17 and students who have disclosed that they are an unpaid Carer on their 2017/18 University enrolment form will be emailed the link to apply for the Carers Bursary following enrolment. They will be required to provide confirmation from a person, who is involved with the family on a professional basis (e.g., Social Worker, GP etc) that they are a carer and current bank statements. Students who were previously in receipt of Carer’s Allowance will need to provide proof from the Department of Work & Pensions that this has now ceased.

Carers who are paid a salary in exchange for their caring duties or are in receipt of Carer’s Allowance would not be eligible for the Bursary.

If you have any queries regarding the Carers Bursary or would like to apply, please contact the Student Money Advice Team or email hardship@southwales.ac.uk.

If you need advice regarding issues which are having an impact on your studies, please contact your Advice Zone.

Students and Benefits

Some students may be entitled to state benefits or tax credits while studying. Please see our Student and Benefits page for further information.