USW Teacher and Adviser Awards 2024
This year we are hosting the fourth annual USW Teacher and Adviser Awards, supported by Reaching Wider on Friday 5 July 2024.
The accolades will be awarded to teachers and advisers from secondary schools and colleges across the UK who have demonstrated excellence in four categories in the 2023-24 academic year. Each award winner will receive £500 towards CPD and/or staff wellbeing initiatives at their school or college. The categories include:
- Outstanding Pastoral and Wellbeing Support
- Supporting Progression to Higher Education
- Inspirational Teacher or Adviser of the Year
Outstanding Pastoral and Wellbeing Support
The recipient of this award will be able to evidence that they have developed sound and effective approaches to pastoral care, or pastoral systems which systems which have had a specific, positive impact in their school/college. The award winner will demonstrate that they have been able to deliver or lead pastoral care and wellbeing support with energy, dedication and empathy.
Supporting Progression to HE
This award will celebrate a teacher or adviser who has gone the extra mile to demonstrate the benefits of HE across the whole school/ college community. This may be a nominee in a formal leadership post but can be anyone who has worked in a way that supports progression to HE. The nominee will have demonstrated a strategic approach to embedding Careers Information, Advice and Guidance (CIAG) into school/ college life, thereby raising the aspirations of learners in ensuring that HE is accessible and achievable. The nominee should be able to demonstrate engagement with HEIs in delivering CIAG, as well as outlining the alternative pathways to HE, in addition to demonstrating an outstanding approach to the UCAS application process. Engaging with parents and carers will have also have played an important role in their approach in supporting progression to HE.
Inspirational Teacher or Adviser of the Year
Teachers and advisers are doing amazing jobs in schools and colleges every day. Outstanding secondary school teachers and advisers inspire their students and ignite a passion for learning and success in their students. They truly connect with them, making them feel safe to share their values and opinions, so their students thrive, and are fully prepared for the next stage in their lives. What makes this teacher or adviser outshine the many secondary teachers who do this every day?
- Teachers and advisers can be nominated by their students, or by their fellow staff at their school or college.
- Nominations can be submitted via our entry forms. There are separate entry forms for teachers/advisers and students. The deadline for nominations is Tuesday 23rd April 2024.
- Student Entry Form
- Teacher / Adviser Entry Form
- A panel will shortlist the nominees. Once shortlisted, the school or college will be asked to submit a short video (no longer than 2 minutes in duration) explaining why they have nominated the teacher/adviser. The finalist videos will be shown at the awards ceremony and will be hosted on our website following the ceremony.
- The panel will review the finalist videos and decide on a winner in each category and inform the schools/colleges. Nominated and shortlisted candidates will also be informed.
- There will be an awards ceremony at our Treforest Campus on Friday 5th July 2024.
- Nominations will only be accepted for teachers and advisers from secondary schools and colleges.
- There is no limit on the number of nominations you can submit.
- The deadline for nominations is to be confirmed but will likely be in April 2024. Any nominations received after this date will not be included in the shortlisting process.
- The panelists' decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- There is one prize available for each winner, which is £500 towards CPD and/or staff wellbeing initiatives at their school or college. No alternative prize is available.
- USW reserves the right to make changes to the awards application process at any time.
- All students who nominate a teacher/adviser will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Amazon e-voucher. Amazon e-vouchers are subject to terms and conditions which are available to view here and it is the responsibility of the prize draw winner to familiarise themselves with them. They will need to have a valid Amazon account in order to redeem their voucher.
- Please read our Privacy Statement and our Schools and Colleges Fair Processing Notice, which tells you how we use any personal information we collect about you.