Laboratories and Laboratory Apparatus
Comprising one whole floor of the purpose-built George Knox laboratories, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences facilities are arguably on a par with those found in the industry. Students make full use of the laboratories during their studies and gain hands-on experience using the extensive analytical equipment.
Built to the latest standards of safety, our laboratories cater for moderate class sizes to ensure students receive a more personal practical experience.
All the laboratories are equipped with AV teaching equipment and have WiFi coverage.
The laboratories comprise:
- A dedicated Organic chemistry laboratory.
- A combined Inorganic/Physical chemistry laboratory.
- Two very large general instrument laboratories that house some of the more routinely used analytical equipment (see below).
- A dedicated student research laboratory, used primarily by year three and year four students undertaking their significant research project.
- Two specialised laboratories for performing nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrometry and scanning electron microscopy (SEM).
The more specialised techniques and equipment students will gain experience using throughout their studies include:
- Two Unicam UV/Vis spectrometers
- Two Cecil UV/Vis spectrometers
- Two Perkin Elmer Lambda UV/Vis spectrometers
- Two Perkin Elmer Lambda XLS UV/Vis spectrometers
Infrared (IR) Spectroscopy:
- Four Perkin Elmer infrared RX 1 spectrometers
- Perkin Elmer Spectrum XII infrared spectrometer fitted with ATR sampling accessory
Optical Emission Spectroscopy:
- Varian ICP OES spectrometer
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopy:
- Bruker Avance III 400 MHz NMR spectrometer
High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC):
- Shimadzu LC 10 AS HPLC
- Hewlett Packard 1100 HPLC
- Perkin Elmer HPLC with Flexar LC platform
- Waters AcQuity UPLCMS/MS
Gas Chromatography (GC):
- Two Perkin Elmer Clarus 500 GCs
- Varian GC Mass Spectrometer (GC model 450/Mass spectrometer model 450)
- Thermoscientific GC/MS/MS (Triple Quad Mass spectrometer, TSQ 8000)
- Thermoscientific ISQ Single quad with direct insertion probe
Scanning Electron Microscopy and X-Ray Analysis:
- Carl Zeiss 1430 scanning electron microscope coupled with an Oxford Instruments INCA microanalyser
- Flame photometer
- Joint Expert Speciation System Chemical Environment Simulation Computer Programme
- Web interface package WebMO, utilising GAMESSUS and MOPAC (molecular modelling software)