Immigration Control – Nationals of countries outside the EEA

Make sure you carry all the following documents with you in your hand luggage:

  • Passport and UK visa
  • CAS statement from the University
  • Documentary evidence that you can pay for your tuition fees and living costs
  • Medical certificates/ chest X-rays, especially if you are coming from a high-risk TB area*
*Failure to provide a chest X-ray could lead to a delay of up to three hours at immigration control

The UK Visas and Immigration conducts fingerprint checks at the border for passengers who have provided their biometrics during the visa application process. The purpose of this check is to verify that the individual entering the UK is the same person who applied for their visa. 

For more information about entering the UK visit the UK Visas website.

Immigration control problems

If you experience any problems when passing through immigration control you can give the Immigration Officer these telephone numbers to speak to a member of the University staff: +44 (0)1443 48 3413 or +44 (0)1443 48 2885.

Aeroplane wing (credit Thinkstock).jpg

Immigration Control – EEA nationals

You will be admitted freely if you produce your national identity card or passport on arrival. 

If you have dependants who want to live with you in the UK and who are not EEA nationals, they will need to show their entry clearance. You should get this at a British Embassy before travelling.

Passing through Customs Control

When you have passed through immigration control you can collect your luggage from the Baggage Reclaim area and then pass through Customs. You will see three channels:

  • RED = Items to declare
  • GREEN = Nothing to declare
  • BLUE = Arrivals from a European country

If you are asked to open your luggage for inspection by a Customs Officer then you must do so. 

Details of what you can bring into the UK are available from British Embassies, High Commissions or Consulates. Please check before travelling. There are certain items you are not allowed to bring into the UK to protect citizens’ health, safety and environment. Please visit the HM Revenue and Customs website for more information.