International Students

It is very important to remember that, although international students are permitted to work part time during their course, you should be in a position to support yourself without needing to find a job. 

If you are issued a Tier 4 or Student Route visa, this is granted on the basis that you can prove both fees and living costs are available to you without you having to work. Possible future earnings are not admissible evidence for a Tier 4 or Student Route visa application.

Student jobs

Tier 4 or Student Route visa

If you have a Tier 4 or Student visa, you will be allowed to work during your studies and this will be stated on your visa. You can do most kinds of work on a Tier 4 or Student visa, but you must not:

  • be self-employed
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach
  • be employed as an entertainer
  • take a permanent full-time job
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training, unless you are on the foundation programme

The University has a Careers Service that can help you find a part time job. They can also give you advice about finding a job in the UK once you have completed your studies. 

UKCISA (the UK Council for International Student Affairs) have produced a very useful information page called Can You Work?

EEA and Swiss Students

If you are from the EEA or Switzerland please read the specific information available.

UKCISA have also produced an information page for EEA and Swiss students.