Do I have the right to work in the UK?

We have a legal responsibility to ensure that all our workers and employees have the legal right to live and work in the UK.

Check of original documents as proof of right to work in the UK

If you are invited to an interview, you will be asked to make available original copies of documentation that provides evidence of your right to live and work in the UK. This can be one or a combination of original documents from the list of acceptable documents produced by the Home Office.  We will email you prior to the interview with instructions regarding the right to work check.  Please note that it is a requirement for visas and Indefinite Leave to Remain stamps in passports to be in a valid document in order to be acceptable evidence of right to work. Visas/stamps in expired passports cannot be accepted.

If you have not provided evidence of your right to work in the UK at an interview with us, any offer of work or employment made to you will be conditional upon you presenting this before you join us. This document check must be carried out before you start any work with us.

EU Settlement Scheme

From 1st July 2021, new EU, EEA and Swiss employees with the University of South Wales or Professional and Support Services Limited will need to demonstrate their right to work either with the pre-settled or settled status, or with a visa under the points-based immigration system. These Right to Work Checks can predominantly be conducted digitally for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens. have a guide for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens on viewing and proving their immigration status (eVisa). The guide explains how people can view, prove and share their immigration status, update their details, what they should expect when crossing the UK border and how to get help accessing their immigration status. 

What if I don't yet have the right to work in the UK?

Skilled roles

The most common route through which you can gain the right to work in the UK is through the points-based immigration system. We are able to sponsor workers in skilled occupations through the new UK immigration system that has replaced the previous system from 1 January 2021.  To be eligible for sponsorship you need to score 70 points.  To score the mandatory 50 points you need to be offered a job by an approved sponsor; be undertaking a role at the appropriate skill level; and required to speak English at a required level.  The remaining 20 points can be achieved having regard to salary/job in shortage occupation list/PhD qualification. 

Only occupations listed as eligible for a Skilled Worker visa can be sponsored. The list of skilled occupations is in Table 1 here.  You can check to see if you are eligible for a Skilled worker visa here. Table 5 in the link here lists the occupations that are not eligible for sponsorship for a Skilled Worker visa. 

Any job application you submit to us will be assessed using criteria based on the knowledge, skills and experience required for the relevant post. 

If you are successful after interview and we advise you that the role is not on the list of occupations eligible for sponsorship, you will need to check you can obtain right to work by other means. Any offer of employment we make to you will be conditional upon you gaining permission to work in the UK. You will not be able to start work until you are able to provide evidence that this has been granted.


Roles not classed as skilled

If the role is not eligible for skilled worker visa you may however be able to apply for one of the other UK visa routes available. We strongly recommend that you check if you are eligible for any of these routes as part of your preparation when applying for the role. You can do this by visiting the UK government website under the 'Applying for a visa to come to the UK' section of the Home Office webpages.