The bursary covers the cost of reasonable expenses associated with visiting the University of South Wales to attend an undergraduate open day, interview or an applicant day.
- Payments cover train, coach, air or boat fare at the most economical rate available. We are also able to support with the costs of travelling by car.
- Payments are only made to prospective students who have applied for an undergraduate course via UCAS.
To apply for the bursary you must:
- Be applying for your first undergraduate degree through UCAS
- Be eligible for funding by one of the four UK funding providers:
- Student Finance England
- Student Finance Wales
- Student Finance Northern Ireland
- Student Awards Agency for Scotland
- Have booked and attended an Open Day, Interview Day or Applicant Day at the University of South Wales.
How to apply
- We will review the costs you submit, and reimburse reasonable costs covered by this bursary.
- Once your claim is approved you will also be asked for your bank details as successful applications will be paid via UK bank transfer.
- We’ll award on a first come, first served basis subject to availability.
Terms and conditions
To be eligible for the Travel Bursary, you must:
- Be a prospective UK student, applying for your first undergraduate degree.
- You must be travelling to USW to an Open Day, Interview, or an Offer Holder Day.
- You may only claim once for each event you attend.
- Be eligible for funding by one of the four UK funding providers (i.e., Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland, or Student Awards Agency for Scotland).
- You should ordinarily claim towards your travel costs only after having made your journey to the University.
- If you have a quote from a travel company and the costs exceed the quotation, the amount awarded will not be increased.
- The University will not make awards in excess of the guidelines, except in exceptional circumstances.
You can apply to claim up to:
- Open Days – up to £50.00 for the student only
- Interviews – up to £50.00 for the student only
- Offer Holder Events – up to £50.00 for the student only
Please Note: We’ll award on a first come, first served basis subject to availability.
- The University may reimburse the cost of travel for a carer who offers support to a disabled prospective student where the carer is required to facilitate travel and accessibility.
- The University can reimburse towards the cost of standard class return rail travel between your home (or the address from which you travelled on the day) and the nearest train station to the relevant campus.
- The University will not reimburse the cost of first-class travel, or any additional costs (e.g., penalty fares). You should take the most appropriate direct route and attempt to book in advance to secure the most favourable fare.
- The University can reimburse towards the cost of local bus fares where a bus journey is required to travel to your nearest bus or coach station.
- The University can reimburse the cost of bus or coach fares between your home and Cardiff Coach Station.
- If travelling by car, the University can reimburse mileage for a return journey between your home postcode and the relevant campus.
- Distances will be calculated using the RAC Route Planner.
- The distance for the recommended route will be multiplied by 35p per mile to obtain the amount to be reimbursed.
- The cost of parking charges can also be claimed up to a maximum of £15.00
- The University can reimburse towards the cost of ferry, boat, or economy class air fares (or the equivalent on budget airlines) for flights from the UK Airport closest to your home and Cardiff International Airport where a low-cost airfare is cheaper than the equivalent bus, coach, or train fare.
- The University can reimburse the costs of appropriate airport flyer bus services between airports and your home and the University.
- The University will not reimburse the cost of business class or first-class air fares or additional charges for priority boarding, airport lounges, Wi-Fi or meals, snacks and drinks purchased at the airport or in-flight.
- The University will not reimburse the cost of international flights that originate from outside the United Kingdom.
- This restriction applies to both EU students (eligible for home fee status) travelling from an EU country and UK students who are currently living overseas (including within another EU member state) and travelling to USW to an Open Day, Interview, or an Offer Holder Day.
- By exception, we may be able to honour a claim for travel between Dublin airport and Cardiff providing the journey starts in Northern Ireland for prospective students living in Northern Ireland and where it is not possible to travel from Belfast. Contact us for clarification before travelling.
- The University would not ordinarily be able to reimburse the cost of taxi fares to the University or between bus or coach stations and your home or the University.
- The University cannot cover the costs for any additional expenditure such as subsistence (meals, drinks, etc).
- The University cannot cover the costs for overnight accommodation.
- The University cannot reimburse the cost of travel for additional individuals (other than carers noted above) who accompany prospective students such as parents, guardians, or friends.
- The University will only
- Any fines incurred while driving or parking cannot be reimbursed.