B11: Computer Science and Informatics
Research from USW submitted into Computer Science and Informatics includes work from staff within the School of Computing and Mathematics, the School of Engineering, and the School of Health, Sport and Professional Practice.
Research activity is divided across five broad topic areas:
- Geographical Information Systems
- Cyber Security and Forensics
- Artificial Intelligence
- Biomedical Computing
Research into the geographical variations in public and private services has benefitted collaborating stakeholder organisations, such as the Welsh Government’s Department for Economy, Skills and Natural Resources and Tenovus Cancer Care.
The Unit’s work on Knowledge Organisation Systems has included a number of collaborating stakeholder organisations, such as the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, Historic England, Historic Environment Scotland, and the Archaeology Data Service.
Unit of Assessment Results
|% 4*||% 3*||% ≤ 2*|
- 51% of research is world leading or internationally excellent (4* / 3*) - almost double the result of 26% in 2014
- 100% of our research impact is world leading or internationally excellent (4* / 3*)
- Joint first in the UK for impact out of 90 universities - based on 4* / 3*
- Joint first in Wales for impact out of five universities - based on 4* / 3*