A prospectus can only tell you so much – you need to visit the campus and speak to the students and lecturers to get a real feel for a place.
That's where an Open Day comes in. If you haven't booked, there's still time to do it online now.
What to ask academics
- What are your previous students/graduates doing now?
- What kind of job can I get when I graduate?
- What topics or modules will I study as part of my course?
- What scholarships and bursaries can I apply for?
- How is the course divided between theory and practical work?
- Will I have exams towards the end of the year or will I have a final year project?
- What facilities are available for my course? How about field trips?
- Can I gain work experience as part of my course or whilst at University?
- What grades and qualifications do I need to apply for this course?
- How do I apply?
- What do you look for in a UCAS personal statement?
What to ask student ambassadors
- What clubs and societies can I join?
- Did you live in student halls?
- What are good areas to live and why?
- Is it worth bringing my car to campus? How easy is it to get around on public transport?
- Are you working on a dissertation? If so what is your project on?
- How easy is it to find a part time job?
- What is the nightlife/social life like?
- What are the sports facilities and activities like?
- What do you like most about studying at USW?
What to ask accommodation staff
- What accommodation options are there for first years?
- How much are the Halls of Residence?
- How and when can I apply?
- When is the application deadline?
- Will I get my first choice of Hall?
And finally, here are our top Open Day tips
- Be prepared. Study the Open Day programme and make a note of any questions (above) you want to ask.
- Plan your travel route - make sure you are going to the right campus.
- Bring a family member or friend for company, and a second opinion.
- Bring a notebook to jot down information you want to remember.
- If you're visiting a few universities, take photos of the campus and student accommodation so you don't forget which one is which!
- Try and have a wander around the local town or city before you head home. Check out our Open Day pages for advice on things to do in the local area.