A guide to studying the Professional Certificate in Education

Your top questions answered

Education Teaching ThinkstockPhotos-469565869.jpg
Can I study full or part time?
This Professional Certificate in Education teaching course is part time and, as a consequence, allows you to attend while working part time or full time. Many of our students make use of the part time course to retrain as a lecturer or trainer.

What are the hours and days of study?
Currently the course is delivered on a Tuesday (10.00am – 3.30pm) and Thursday (2.00pm – 7.30pm). You would only have to attend one day. In addition to attending one day per week over two years, it is essential to also complete a total of 70 hours of practical experience in Year One and a further 70 hours of practical experience in Year Two. Usually, teaching practice takes place between September and April.

What’s the difference between QTS/QLTS?
  • QTS is ‘Qualified Teacher Status’ usually linked to teaching courses that qualify you to teach in the compulsory (school) education sector. Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) is the basic requirement for qualification as a teacher in England. In order to achieve QTS, you need to show through practice and theoretical knowledge that you have achieved all the QTS standards.
  • Qualified Teacher and Learning Skills (QTLS) is a voluntary process which demonstrates your commitment to being a professional teacher in the post compulsory sector. It is gained through the professional association the Society for Education and Training (SET) which is part of the Education and Training Foundation (ETF). There is no QTLS award attached to the part time course at Newport as it is not necessary to have QTLS to teach in the post compulsory education and training sectors in Wales. QTLS may be gained through recording ongoing professional practice and experience once you have completed the teaching qualification.        
Can I teach Primary or Secondary children with the Professional Certificate in Education?
No, this course does not qualify you to teach Primary or Secondary school pupils. This part time course qualifies you to teach students within the post compulsory education and training sectors.  You can study separate courses if you wish to qualify to teach in the Primary or Secondary sectors at the University of South Wales.

The post compulsory sector includes FE colleges, Adult/ Community Education, Training Organisations, Prison education etc. The age of the students you will teach will range from 14 years (who may be attending a further education college for part of their studies) to post retirement age. 

What is the difference between the Professional Certificate in Education and the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education  (Post compulsory Education and Training PcET)?
The Professional Certificate in Education is available to applicants who are not graduates on entry.  
The Professional Graduate Certificate is available to applicants who are graduates on entry. 
Once you have enrolled on the appropriate certificate, you will all complete the same modules and assignments at levels 4, 5 and 6 over the two years.  

Who organises the placements? And where might these be?
We expect students to secure their own opportunities to teach. Many of our students are already teaching in Further Education/ Adult or Community Education or may have an element of training as part of regular employment which would be considered as suitable practical experience.

You may have contacts with former tutors who would be able to help you and we are often able to recommend a contact  although this will depend on your subject area.  Most teaching practice is completed locally although it is not uncommon for students to teach in Bristol, Weston Super Mare or Gloucester while undertaking the part time course at Newport.           

I want to teach XX subject. Can I do that with this course?
Basically, if the subject is being taught in the post compulsory sectors and you are suitably qualified in that subject, then you will be qualified to teach it on completion of this part time course. The course addresses the general principles and practice of teaching rather than the development of specific skills to teach individual subjects. You will find a variety of subject specialists in your class ranging from Hairdressing, Beauty, Carpentry, Plumbing to Law, Performing Arts, Art, English, Maths, Psychology etc.    

What's the entry criteria?
It is expected that all applicants will have a minimum of a level 3 qualification. Some applicants will have degrees.  It is desirable but not essential to have a GCSE in English or Maths.  All applicants will be invited for interview and will be required to identify suitable teaching practice opportunities prior to enrolment. 

I've got a third-class degree. Can I apply?
Yes, you can apply for the part time course with a third class degree.

I don't have a degree. Can I still teach in the post compulsory sector?
Yes, you can teach in the post compulsory sector without a degree. Certain subjects do not require a degree although it is advisable to have a level three qualification which is expected of all applicants. Skills based subjects that do not require a degree include Hairdressing, Beauty, Reflexology, Carpentry, Plumbing, Bricklaying, Motor Vehicle.   

How do I apply (i.e. UCAS Teacher Training/direct)?
You need to apply directly to the University of South Wales via our website. You will then receive an email inviting you for interview at the University.