If you have applied for our Fashion Design degree in Cardiff, you will be asked to take part in a one-to-one interview before we can fully consider your application or make you an offer.
To make sure you are fully-prepared, below are a set of tips to help build your confidence. While interviews may seem like a daunting process, it allows you to demonstrate your interest in the course and your knowledge of the subject, as well as allowing you to meet the staff who teach on our Fashion degree.
Top tips for how to prepare your portfolio:
- Make sure you are selective in what you include, a maximum of 10 pieces is best.
- Pay particular attention to how and why you created you work, we will ask you all about each piece
- Think about aesthetics, designers are focused on how things look and feel.
- Variety is key, show us what makes you special.
- Don’t be restricted to fashion, you portfolio will benefit from other creative work.
Top tips for your interview with us:
- Relax: In Higher Education, interviews are a two-way process; you are evaluating the course, and the course is evaluating you. The important thing is that you show potential and enthusiasm; the lecturers and course content will help you achieve that.
- Practice speaking about your work: You will be asked questions about why you made the decisions you did with your work.
- Research: You should know something about the subject area including who your favourite designers is and why.
- Be well rounded: One of the things we will be looking for is what you can bring to the course, what makes you a unique person beyond fashion. Think, books, films, sports, volunteering and employment.
- Ask questions: if there is anything you are unsure of or want to know, just ask. The only silly question is the one you didn’t ask.