Fees and funding

There is an overwhelming array of information out there on fees and funding, so we’ve put together this simple overview.

Student Loans

The government provides student loans to help students with the cost of studying. These loans don’t need to be repaid until your son or daughter has left university and is earning above the income threshold. For full details on how the loan repayment works, visit: www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk.

Maintenance Loan

To help meet their living costs while at university, for things such as rent, food, books, etc, all eligible students can also take out a Maintenance Loan. The Maintenance Loan is partially means tested, so the total amount that students can borrow is dependent on your household income. Any money received is paid directly into students’ bank accounts.

Maintenance Grant

Currently, students from lower-income households in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland may also be eligible for a Maintenance Grant. This is 100% means-tested, does not have to be repaid, and is designed to offer additional financial support to those who may need it the most.


At the time of print (April 2017), fee levels have not been confirmed by the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales for our students starting in 2018-19. Please check our website for the latest information. All eligible UK students can take a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of their fees. Currently the Welsh Government is considering responses to its proposals for changes to higher education funding following the Diamond Review. Within the proposed changes, Welsh students are to be given access to a tuition fee loan which would cover their tuition fees in full. Once again, please check our website for the latest information about financial support for 2018-19. 

Scholarships and Bursaries

We have details of scholarship and bursary opportunities on our website: www.southwales.ac.uk/money.