US Federal Loans

The University of South Wales is certified to originate Direct Loans for full time Bachelor or Graduate degrees only.

We are not certified to originate loans for Nursing courses, HND/HNC or Foundation Degrees.  Distance learning courses are not eligible for Federal Student Aid.  Programs that do not qualify for Federal Student Aid may still qualify for Private Student loans.

Students studying at foreign schools are NOT eligible for Pell Grants.

The School Code for the University is: G35473

We aim to process all applications within 10 working days of receiving a fully complete application; therefore it is in your best interest to apply early.

The Direct Loan is available to students in any year.

The Plus Loan  is only available to the parent of a Bachelors student (subject to a credit check), or to Graduate students. The actual loan amount you are eligible to receive for an academic year is determined by your school and may be less than the maximum annual amounts.

Please note there will be a fee for originating a loan.

Private Loans

The only private loan currently available to students at foreign schools is the Sallie Mae Student Loan. To apply for a private loan, you must apply directly to the lender and then send a copy of your e-signed Promissory Note to the US Loans Administration Team.

Please note that Direct Loans maybe more favourable than private loans. It is the student’s responsibility to explore all options available to them before making a decision.

You MUST complete ALL of the following steps to successfully apply for

You will need to send ALL of the above information to US Loans Administration Team, if we do not receive this information we CANNOT process your application.

We DO NOT automatically receive this information because the University of South Wales is a Foreign School.

We aim to process all applications within 10 working days of receipt; therefore we would advise that you apply early.

Submit all of the above information to the US Loans Administration Team at the University of South Wales.

Once we have received ALL of the above information we will be able to calculate your Cost of Attendance and confirm how much loan you would be entitled to receive

You will then be issued a Loan Notification letter detailing the dates and amounts of loan that will be disbursed throughout the academic year. This letter is suitable for visa purposes and you should check the details carefully. Please remember that whatever the amount of loan you borrow you must pay it back with interest. You have the right to decline the loan or to request a lower loan amount.

The disbursement dates for the 18.19 academic year for both undergraduate and postgraduate students are:

  • Friday 12th October 2018
  • Monday 14th January 2018
  • Monday 6th May 2018

Once you have enrolled at the University of South Wales , from each disbursement (after it has been exchanged into £ GBP) we will deduct an amount towards tuition, accommodation (if you are in University accommodation) and any other charges incurred, and the remainder will be forwarded to you. You will need to open a UK bank account to avoid having to pay two foreign exchange charges.

You will receive an email notification approximately 14 days prior to the disbursement, in line with Federal regulations concerning your right to cancel. Once the disbursement has been made and we have deducted your fees, you will receive a further confirmation of any refund that will be deposited into your bank account.

Please note that it can take up to 14 days after the disbursement date for you to receive your refund. For example, for a disbursement date of 12th  October any refund will be paid to you by 26th  October

After the completion of your course, the US Loans Administration Team will email each student graduating or withdrawing from a course who is in receipt of Direct Loans a reminder to carry out Exit Counselling. This is a session that you can complete online at the National Student Loan Data System website.

The information you reported on your FAFSA is used to determine your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is calculated by a formula established by law. The US Loans Administration Team will take your cost of attendance and subtract your EFC plus any aid from other sources, for example a scholarship.

The result is your remaining financial need:
Cost of Attendance:
   - EFC
   - Estimated Financial Assistance (EFA)
   = Remaining Financial Need

Please note that you are not able to borrow more than your total estimated cost of attendance.

  • Undergraduate courses typically have a 40 week academic year
  • Postgraduate course typically have a 52 week academic year

We will take the following in to consideration for calculating your costs of attendance:

  • your tuition fees

  • accommodation and living costs of an average student

  • the cost of books, supplies, transportation, loan fees, and miscellaneous expenses relevant to your course

  • an allowance for dependent care (if applicable)

  • costs related to a disability (please email the US Loans Administration Team if you have costs related to a disability)

  • 2 return flights back to the USA

Costs unrelated to the completion of a student's course of study are not included in calculating a cost of attendance.

The University uses a standardized exchange rate to avoid fluctuations. The U.S. Department of Education states that students attending foreign (those outside of the United States) schools will have to tolerate such fluctuations.  The exchange rate that we have set for the 18.19 academic year is £1 =$1.45

  • The maximum amount of subsidized and unsubsidized loans is as follows:

    Dependent undergraduates (students aged 24 and under)

    Year of course     Subsidized loan     Unsubsidized loan    Total loan maximum

    1                                $3,500                       $2,000                             $5,500

    2                               $4,500                       $2,000                             $6,500

    3 and later             $5,500                       $2,000                             $7,500

    Independent undergraduates (students aged over 24 or those whose parents are refused a Parent Plus Loan)

    Year of course     Subsidized loan     Unsubsidized loan    Total loan maximum

    1                                $3,500                       $6,000                             $9,500

    2                               $4,500                       $6,000                             $10,500

    3 and later             $5,500                       $7,000                             $12,500

    Graduate students

    All years Unsubsidized maximum of $20,500

    The actual loan amount you are eligible to receive for an academic year is determined by your cost of attendance. This is determined by your school and may be less than the maximum annual amount shown above. With a Direct PLUS Loan, a graduate/professional student can borrow up to the cost of the student's attendance minus any other financial aid the student receives, including the amount above.

  • Aggregate loan limits
     Below are the aggregate (total) limits for Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans:

    • $31,000 for dependent undergraduate students excluding those whose parents are unable to borrow a PLUS Loan (no more than $23,000 may be subsidized)

    • $57,500 for independent undergraduate students and dependent undergraduates whose parents are unable to borrow a PLUS loan (no more than $23,000 may be subsidized)

    • $138,500 for graduate or professional students (no more than $65,500 may be subsidized; includes loans for undergraduate study)

  • There is no limit for PLUS loans.

  • These aggregate limits include both Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and any Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans previously received through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program. You cannot borrow over your aggregate loan limit.

  • It is the requirement of the U.S. Department of Education that Schools must provide a notice of the availability of all consumer information.  To meet this requirement, the US Loans Administration Team has listed the consumer disclosure information required by the U.S. Department of Education and information on each topic area below. 

     1.            Schools must make available, to current and prospective students, information on how and where to contact staff who can assist students in obtaining institutional and financial aid information.

    2.            Regarding Student Federal Aid information: Schools must make available to students information about:

    •          All financial student assistance programs available to students who enroll at the school

    •          Terms and conditions of Title IV, HEA loans

    •          Criteria for selecting recipients and for determining award amount

    •          Eligibility requirements and procedures for applying aid

    •          Methods and frequency of disbursements of aid

    •          Rights and responsibilities of students receiving Title IV assistance

    •          Loan terms including sample repayment schedule and necessity for repaying loan

    •          Statement about enrolling in study abroad and its impact on applying for financial aid

    •          Exit Counselling information the school provides and collect

    •         Student Loan information published by US Department of Education

    •         Terms and conditions under which students receive Federal Direct Loan

    •         Transfer of credit policies

    •         Notice to borrowers that loan information will be provided to NSLDS

      For this information, prospective students should visit Money, and continuing students should visit Unilife.

    3.            Schools must make available information about the cost of attending the school including: Tuition Fees, Books and supplies, room and board, transportation and annual costs.

    Students can find information on all of the above by searching the University of South Wales website


    4.            Schools must make available information about:

    •          Any refund policies applicable to the school

    •          Requirements and procedures for official withdrawing from the school

    •          Summary of R2T4 requirements

    •          SAP requirements

    Please see our R2T4 Policy, our Satisfactory Academic Progress and our withdrawal guide for students policy, which also explains refunds.

    5.            Schools must also make available information about:

    •          Academic programs at the institution

    •         Names of accrediting agencies and governmental bodies that approve, accredit or license the school

    This information can be found on our website.

    6.            Annual notice to enrolled students:

    •          Right to review educational records

    •          Procedures for reviewing records

    •          Information regarding disclosure of “directory” information

    •          Information required to be disclosed under Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) – See 34 C.F.R Part 99

    Students have the right to review their educational records. Details on how to do this can be viewed in our Directory.

    7.            Schools must make available information about:

    •          Institutional policies regarding vaccines

    •          Services and facilities for students with disabilities, including intellectual disabilities

    The UK Government website contain important information on medical requirements prior to entering the UK.

    Our Disability and Dyslexia pages contain important information for students with disabilities, including intellectual disabilities.

    8.            Retention rates:

    Schools must report retention rates of certificate or degree-seeking, first-time full-time undergraduates entering the institution. 

    Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) is the official agency for the collection, analysis and dissemination of quantitative information about higher education.  Table 5 on the HESA website gives the percentage of full time undergraduate degree starters projected to achieve their degree. 

    9.            Placement rates - required disclosures:

    •          Placement and types of employment obtained by graduates of the institutions degree or certificate programs

    •          Include any placement rates calculated by institution

    •          Identify source of information provided, including timeframes and methodology

    This information is available upon request by emailing the US Loans Administration Team at Please ensure that you include in your email the name of the faculty that you would like to obtain this information from and allow 7-10 working days for a response.

     10.          Title IV Loan Code of Conduct required for all schools participating in FDL:

    •         Must publish code of conduct prominently on institution’s website

    •          Must administer and enforce such code

    •          Must require that all of the institution’s officers, employees and agents with responsibilities with respect to such loans be annually informed of the provisions of the code of conduct. See 601.21 for requirements

    Please see our code of conduct for information on the above.

    11.          Private Education Loans Disclosures:

    •         Must be distinct from information related to Title IV loans.  

    •         Disclosures must include:

    •         Any information required under Truth In Lending Act (TILA)

    •         Notice that may qualify for loans or other assistance under Title IV

    •         Notice that terms/conditions of Title IV loans maybe more favourable than private education loans

    Please visit our US Loans pages for information on Private loans.  Prospective students should visit US Federal Loans and continuing students should visit our US Federal Loans Unilife.

    12.          An institution must provide, upon request of borrower, the required information:

    •         Cost of Attendance

    •         Estimated Financial Assistance

    •         Difference between COA and EFA

    •         A preferred Lender arrangement

    Once the US Loans Administration Team has calculated an applicant’s entitlement to funding, we will normally email the applicant with details of the funds that they can apply for and how it was calculated. If you have any queries, please email

     13.          Textbook information disclosure:

    Provisions are established by law and the Secretary has no regulatory authority. For each course listed in the school’s online course schedule, schools must disclose:

    •         International Standard Book Number

    •         Retail price for each textbook

    •         Indication that required information is unavailable if it is yet to be determined with designation “to be determined”

    •        Include a notice on written course schedule that textbook information is on the internet course schedule and include web address

      Textbook information for college bookstores

      Schools must provide to college bookstore operated by or in contractual relationship or otherwise affiliated with school the course schedule for the subsequent academic period.

      For each course/class for the following academic period:

    •          The ISBN and price for material for the class

    •          The number of students enrolled

    •          The maximum student’s enrolment

    Each Faculty issues lists of recommended reading to students enrolled on their courses and liaises with the on-campus bookstore with their requirements.

     14.          Peer-to Peer File Sharing and Copyrighted materials

    PPA now requires that schools have developed and implemented written plans to effectively combat unauthorised distribution of copyrighted materials including peer-to-peer file sharing. It applies to all users of institution’s network without interfering with educational and research use of network. The written plan must include:

    •          1+ technology-based deterrents

    •          Mechanisms for education of community

    •          Institutional policies and sanctions for violations

    •          Procedures for handling violations - including disciplinary action

    •          Procedures to periodically review effectiveness of the plan

    •          No particular technology measures required

      Peer-to-Peer New Disclosures  - Schools must disclose to students:

    •          Explicit statement that unauthorised distribution of copyrighted material may subject to civil and criminal liabilities

    •          Description of the institution’s policies on unauthorised peer-to-peer file sharing, including disciplinary actions

    •          Summary of penalties for violation of federal copyright laws

      Peer-to-Peer File sharing and copyrighted materials:

      Institution must, in consultation with chief technology officer, or other designated officer of institution:

    •          Review legal alternatives for downloading or otherwise acquiring copyrighted materials

    •          Make available results of the review to students

    •          To extent practicable, offer legal alternatives for downloading or acquiring copyrighted materials

    For all of the above, please see our Academic Integrity Regulations pages 

    15.          Fire Safety - Required of institutions that maintain an on-campus student housing facility:


    •          Fire statistics

    •          Annual fire safety report

    •          Fire log

      i.              Fire statistics

      Requires statistics for each on-campus student housing facility:

    •          Number and cause of each fire

    •          Number of persons with injuries related to a fire that resulted in treatment at a medical facility

    •          Number of deaths related to a fire

    •          Value of property damage

    •          Must cover the 3 most recent calendar years

    •          Must be reported annually to the Department in Fire Safety report

      ii.             Annual fire safety report

      Report must include:

    •          Fire statistics

    •          Description of each on-campus student housing facility fire safety system

    •          Number of fire drills held during the previous calendar year

    •          Policies or rules on portable electrical appliances, smoking and open flames in a student housing facility

    •          Procedures for student housing evacuation

    •          Policies for fire safety education and training programs for students, faculty and staff

    •          A list of the titles of each person or organisation to which individuals should report that a fire has occurred

    •          Plans for future improvements in fire safety, if determined necessary by the institution

      iii.                Fire log

    •          Must be written and easily understood

    •          Must include all fires in on-campus student housing facilities

    •          Nature, date, time and location of each fire

    •          Fires recorded by date reported

    •          Entries must be made within 2 business days of receipt of the information

     The University of South Wales Accommodation Department works within the UK codes of practice legislation regarding halls of residence and are in compliance with all aspects of the codes including fire safety.  Please see our Fire Safety and Emergency procedures. For more information on Fire safety please contact the US Loans Administration Team.

     16.            Missing Student Notification:

    Required of institutions that maintain an on-campus student housing facility.

    •          Must have a policy regarding missing student notification procedures for students who reside in on-campus student housing facilities

    •          Titles of persons or organisations to which individuals should report that a student has been missing for 24 hours

    •          Requires that any missing student reports be immediately referred to campus police or local law enforcement

    •          Option for each student to identify a contact to be notified within 24 hours of determination by local law enforcement that student is missing

      Required actions, within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing:

    •          Immediate referral of missing student report to authorities

    •          Notification of their parent or guardian, for students under 18 who are not emancipated

    •          Initiation of emergency contact procedures

    The Accommodation Department abides by the University’s missing students protocol. The Resident Tutor Team and Duty Staff are however most likely to be the first point of contact should student residents have concerns about another residents whereabouts.   The Accommodation Team collects information from students regarding their chosen Emergency contact person as part of their contract. 

    17.            Drug and Alcohol Abuse prevention and drug related offences:

    HEOA added requirement that as part of biennial review of prevention program effectiveness schools:

    •          Determine number of drug and alcohol violations and fatalities that occur on campus and are reported to campus officials

    •          Determine number and type of sanctions imposed as result of these violations and fatalities

    •          At enrolment, schools must provide student with separate notice regarding penalty for federal or state convictions of drug-related offenses while receiving Title IV assistance

    •          If a student loses eligibility for this reason, school must notify student of loss of eligibility and ways to regain eligibility

    Residents in halls who are caught using/dealing with drugs will be excluded as stipulated in the disciplinary procedure.

    The University of South Wales Student Services Department also has a reporting system where incidents are recorded along with the action taken.

    18.           Special Populations:

    There are additional disclosure and reporting requirements for:

    •          Co-educational schools that have intercollegiate athletic programs (schools that offer athletically-related student aid)

    •          Gainful employment programs

      The ‘Special Populations’ requirement does not apply to the University of South Wales as we do not offer athletically-related Federal Student Aid and we do not offer gainful employment programs.

      More information on student regulations and procedures.

    If you have any queries regarding this information  please contact the University US Loans Administration Team