The University of South Wales is a popular choice with International students and we have been welcoming students from United States to our campuses for many years.
Students from the United States study a wide range of courses. A full list of subject areas can be found here.
A degree from the University of South Wales is the equal to a US degree in almost every subject and in most cases, it takes just 3 years to complete a bachelor’s and 1 year for Postgraduate MA or MSc.
A small number of courses, such as Master of Chiropractic may need additional training or recognition if you intend to practice outside the UK.
The University of South Wales offers generous scholarships to students from the United States who also enjoy the high standard but relatively low cost of living that South Wales offers. Students appreciate the friendly, safe and welcoming environment of the university and benefit from the campus locations in and around the city of Cardiff.
Students can enjoy everything the region has to offer – city life, sport and culture, great beaches and impressive historical landscapes. There are also excellent transport links between campuses and to all major cities in the UK.
We hope you find the information in this section of the website useful.
Pontypridd Campus, Treforest
The University offers the following scholarships for self-funding international students. You will be automatically considered for one of these awards when we receive your application.
Courses starting in September 2023 and February 2024
- £1,500 per year for undergraduate students
- £2,000 for postgraduate students
You may also be eligible for the Global Wales Postgraduate Scholarship programme. For more information visit the international scholarships page.
For information on loan schemes for US students please click here.
Foundation Entry Requirements
Foundation Years are available to students who don't meet the academic requirements for entry directly onto year 1 of a Bachelor degree.
Undergraduate Entry Requirements
High School Graduation Diploma with a grade B average or above (3.0/4.0 unweighted) with either:
- An ACT (American College Test) score of 23 or above.
- A SAT combined score of 1100 or above (550+ in each section) – Applicants who sat the SAT previous to 2016 will require a combined score of 1670+
- Advanced Placement Tests with grade 3 and above in at least 3 relevant Group A, AP subjects.
- Students who have successfully completed a 2-year Associate Degree or Professional Diploma at an institution such as a community college can be considered for advanced entry to the 2nd year of a relevant degree programme.
- Applicants transferring from community college or another university are assessed on an individual basis.
- Due to Covid-19, we understand that some students may be unable to take their APs, SAT and ACTs. If you have concerns about being able to meet these conditions, please contact the Enquiries and Admissions Team to discuss your options and whether an alternative assessment method is possible for your subject area. You can email us or call us on +44 (0)1443 654450
Postgraduate Entry Requirements
- For graduate entry, applicants with a 3.0 or higher GPA in a relevant undergraduate degree from an accredited university will be considered for Masters programme entry.
- There is no GRE requirement.
Applicants should have Grade C or above in English in the High School Graduation Diploma.
Loan Schemes for US Students
The University of South Wales is a Title IV School and is therefore authorised by the US Department of Education to certify applications (for eligible students) for the Family Federal Direct Student Loan Program.
To find all the information you will need to submit your application for financial aid, receive your disbursements, and get ready for repayment please click here.
For further information about the Sallie Mae loan, please click here.
The University of South Wales has relationships with the following US institutions:
- University of South Dakota
We’re delighted to announce that PhD alumnus, Richard James Burgess (Phd Musicology, 2010) has recently been nominated and is now shortlisted as a finalist in the British Council’s Education UK Alumni Awards in the US.
If you are an institution and wish to explore establishing a relationship please feel free to contact the International Recruitment Team.
Please contact us with any questions you may have about studying and applying to the University of South Wales.
Sally Fairburn, International Executive
Tel: +44 (0)1443 654257
Email: [email protected]
Address: USW International, University of South Wales, Llantwit Rd, Treforest, South Wales, CF37 1DL
Across the Pond
Across the Pond provides expert student advice and guidance to US students looking to study in Great Britain.
Email: [email protected]