Welcome to the University of South Wales. We have three vibrant campuses around the capital city of Wales; Cardiff. We offer more than 580 degrees in many subject areas from Foundation Year to PhD level, that are taught with employability in mind. A degree from the University of South Wales is the equal to a US degree in almost every subject and in most cases, it takes just 3 years to complete a bachelor’s and 1 year for Postgraduate MA or MSc. A small number of courses, such as Master of Chiropractic may need additional training or recognition if you intend to practice outside the UK.
The University of South Wales is a popular choice amongst American students and has been welcoming students from the United States to its three campuses for many years.
At USW, students from the United States can enjoy:
- Generous scholarships of up to £2500 per year
- High standard of living with a low cost of living that South Wales offers
- Friendly, safe and welcoming environment of the university
- The location – surrounded by breathtaking scenery and impressive historical landscapes, boasting excellent transport links and the buzz of two dynamic Welsh cities.
Courses popular with students from the United States
- MA Film (Editing) - Study in the Capital City of Wales, in our home of the creative industries
- MSc Applied Cyber Security - We've been named Cyber University of the Year for four consecutive years at the National Cyber Awards, and we are one of only 8 Universities in the UK to be awarded Gold by the National Cyber Security Centre as an Academic Centre of Excellence
- MSc Wildlife and Conservation Management - Accredited by both the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) the Environment and Resources Professional Group of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- BSc (Hons) Football Coaching and Performance - Designed with professional clubs including Swansea City AFC and Cardiﬀ City FC, this course is rated top in Wales for course satisfaction in Sports Science (Guardian League Table 2023)
- BA (Hons) Popular and Commercial Music - Learn from regular visits and masterclasses from high-level music industry professionals such as Greg Haver, producer of Manic Street Preachers; Amy Wadge, Ed Sheeran’s co-writer; Gruff Rhys, Super Furry Animals and Steve Sidelnyk, Madonna’s drummer.
The University offers the following scholarships for self-funding international students. You will be automatically considered for one of these awards when we receive your application.
Courses starting in September 2023 and February 2024
- £1,500 per year for undergraduate students
- £2,000 for postgraduate students
You may also be eligible for the Global Wales Postgraduate Scholarship programme. For more information visit the international scholarships page.
For information on loan schemes for US students please click here.
Foundation Entry Requirements
Foundation Years are available to students who don't meet the academic requirements for entry directly onto year 1 of a Bachelor degree.
Undergraduate Entry Requirements
- High School Graduation Diploma with a grade B average or above (3.0/4.0 unweighted)
The University of South Wales has decided to remove the standardised test as mandatory entry requirements, meaning we are now test optional.
For courses that require a specific subject e.g. the sciences, in addition to the overall B grade average in the High School Graduation Diploma we require one of the following:
-B grade in the specific subject(s) in the High School Diploma
-Three AP’s (3+)
- Students who have successfully completed a 2-year Associate Degree or Professional Diploma at an institution such as a community college can be considered for advanced entry to the 2nd year of a relevant degree programme.
- Applicants transferring from community college or another university are assessed on an individual basis.
Postgraduate Entry Requirements
- For graduate entry, applicants with a 3.0 or higher GPA in a relevant undergraduate degree from an accredited university will be considered for Masters programme entry.
- There is no GRE requirement.
Applicants should have Grade C or above in English in the High School Graduation Diploma.
Loan Schemes for US Students
The University of South Wales is a Title IV School and is therefore authorised by the US Department of Education to certify applications (for eligible students) for the Family Federal Direct Student Loan Program.
To find all the information you will need to submit your application for financial aid, receive your disbursements, and get ready for repayment please click here.
For further information about the Sallie Mae loan, please click here.
The University of South Wales has relationships with the following US institutions:
- University of South Dakota
We’re delighted to announce that PhD alumnus, Richard James Burgess (Phd Musicology, 2010) has recently been nominated and is now shortlisted as a finalist in the British Council’s Education UK Alumni Awards in the US.
If you are an institution and wish to explore establishing a relationship please feel free to contact the International Recruitment Team.
Please contact us with any questions you may have about studying and applying to the University of South Wales.
Sally Fairburn, International Executive
Tel: +44 (0)1443 654257
Email: [email protected]
Address: USW International, University of South Wales, Llantwit Rd, Treforest, South Wales, CF37 1DL
Across the Pond
Across the Pond provides expert student advice and guidance to US students looking to study in Great Britain.
Email: [email protected]