Estranged Student Support
The University of South Wales is committed to providing support for students who are estranged from their parents or become estranged during their studies.
The support we can offer is:
- Estranged Student Bursary for students who are under 25 and classed as ‘home’ students and assessed by their funding body as estranged- (currently £1000* per year for full time students, £500* for part time students).
- Graduation Award to support related costs such as gown hire/photograph package (currently £100*)
- Assistance in applying for Student Funding as an Estranged student
- Financial Advice including budgeting and money management
- Support in applying to the University’s Student Support Fund if you are in financial hardship*
- Assistance in getting access to 365-day accommodation for full time students (payment and terms and conditions must be met by the student).
*Please note that funding allocations are subject to change, please check for up-to-date information.
How to access this support
Please contact us via phone or email and we will arrange an appointment with a Money and Support Adviser to discuss the support available and how to access it.
Additional support to access work experience
If you are an estranged student, are under 25 and studying full time, the GO Wales Programme can support you in finding career-relevant work experience that fits around your studies and any other commitments. We may also be able to help you to meet travel costs, the cost of childcare, a DBS check or other costs, if this helps you to access work experience. Contact us for more information or to book an appointment.
You can also contact the University’s Student Recruitment Team for further support in applying to the University.