Care Leaver Support
Care leaver support
The University of South Wales is committed to providing support for students from or leaving care who want to go on to higher education.
We are a member of CLASS (Care Leaver Activities and Student Support) Cymru partnership, who share best practice relating to care leavers across higher education institutions in Wales.
Support we offer in addition to USW's regular support:
- Care leaver bursary for students who are classed as ‘home’ students - (currently £1000* per year for full time students, £500* for part time students).
- A named contact
- Access to 365 day accommodation for full time students (payment and terms and conditions must be met by the student).
- Graduation Award to support related costs such as gown hire/photograph package (currently £100*)
To be eligible for this support students need to be under the age of 25 and the following criteria* must be evidenced;
To satisfy one of the following:
- To be in the care of a Local Authority or
- Have been in the care of a Local Authority within the 3 years prior to commencing your course
- Have left the care system but are still receiving support from their local authority or an organisation such as Barnardos etc.
* Subject to change
Do I qualify?
Student Money Advice
The Student Money Advice Team supports students with:
- Applying for student funding e.g. loans and grants
- Additional funding available such as bursaries and grants
- Financial advice including budgeting and money management
Please note that funding allocations are subject to change, please check for up-to-date information.