Clearing Call Now: 03455 76 06 06

Alternative Offers

Depending on the grades you've achieved, we may need to consider you for an alternative course. Our alternative offers (changed course offers) are usually in a similar subject and are designed to help you get back on track with your original chosen course.

Alternative offers may include a different USW course, a place on a Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) course, foundation year, foundation degree, or HND.

What is a Certificate of Higher Education? (Cert HE)
What is a foundation degree? 
What is a foundation year?
What is a HND?
What about my Student Finance application?
What about my application for Accommodation?
What do I do next?

What is a Certificate of Higher Education? (Cert HE)

If you miss out on the grades for one of our degree course, our Cert HE, or our 'supported first year' courses are the next best thing. You will study the same modules and attend the same classes as a student on the standard degree course, but you will also attend additional classes that will help to improve your study skills and get you back on track. 

If you pass the supported first year, you can then go on to join your fellow students on the standard degree course and progress as normal.

Don't worry - there will be other people in the same situation as you and the fees are exactly the same as the degree.  Find out more about our Cert HE courses, including details of accommodation and finance factors that you need to consider.

What is a foundation degree? 

Foundation degrees combine work-based learning and academic study. At least a quarter of your time will be in the workplace, learning skills valued by an employer. Entry qualifications are varied and we will take into account any relevant skills and experience you have already. 

It takes three years to complete a foundation degree part-time, where you can use your work experience as part of your degree, or just two years for full-time study.

Depending on the subjects you study, you will gain an FDA (Arts) or an FDSc (Science). On completion you could have the opportunity to “top-up” to an honours degree. Please note some STEM courses require a two year top up rather than one.

What is a foundation year?

We offer 4 year degree programmes with an integrated Foundation Year in a number of subject areas for applicants who do not meet the entry criteria to go directly onto a degree course at the University of South Wales.

What is a HND? 

HNDs combine study with practical experience. They usually include work placements or work-related experience and you can complete the course in two years. HNDs are offered in Engineering and Business. 

It is a valuable qualification in its own right that can often lead to further study. Many students take this opportunity to progress to the final year of a degree course after successfully completing their HND.

What about my Student Finance application?

If your course has changed, and you have already applied for funding for the 2019/20 academic year, you will need to update your online funding application as soon as possible with the new course information. 

You can do this by logging into your online application, at the relevant website below, and completing a 'Change of Circumstances' process with the new course information. You will need your Customer Reference Number (CRN) and password in order to log in. 

If you cannot remember your password or CRN you can reset your login details by following the instructions online:

Students from Wales
Students from England
Students from Northern Ireland
Students from Scotland

If you are considering a Cert HE course, there is some important information you need to know about funding: Even though you will be able to progress onto the remaining years of a full degree course upon passing the supported first year, when you apply for student funding the Cert HE is classed as a one year course, with a start date of September 2019 and an end date of June 2020. 

This means that you will only be able to apply for funding for a 'final year' course during this year. Please note that the support available for a final year course is slightly lower than a full year course, and your new entitlement will be detailed in the outcome of your re-assessment for funding. If you progress onto further years of a full degree course you will then need to apply for funding each year.

Please note that if your course choice changes to a further education course, you can contact the Student Money Advice Team on 01443 483778 for further guidance regarding your funding options.

What about my application for accommodation?

If you have received a changed course offer and have already applied for a place in our halls of residence, then your application will remain unaffected.

Pontypridd and Cardiff Campuses:

You should hear from our Accommodation team on A-Level results day (Thursday 15th August) to confirm whether you've been allocated a room and you will need to respond to their e-mail by no later than Monday 19th August to secure your place.

Newport City Campus:

You will hear from our Accommodation team within a few days of receiving your results and it is likely that you will still have your place in the halls of residence.

Apply for Accommodation:

If you have yet to apply to us for accommodation, then you can find out about late availability of accommodation here.

What do I do next?

If you applied to us in the normal UCAS application cycle and have been made an alternative / changed course offer on UCAS Track for any of the above types of courses and would like to accept this offer, you need to log into your UCAS Track and accept the change of course.  You may have a time limit in which to do this and your UCAS Track will confirm this for you. If you do not want to accept the change of course you can decline our offer, again, by logging into your UCAS Track.

To guarantee your place and accommodation you should accept as soon as possible.

If you have been made an offer to study on one of the above courses through Clearing, then you will receive an offer e-mail explaining your next steps.

If you are interested in applying for a USW course in Clearing, call us on 03455 76 06 06 and one of our experts will be happy to help you.