Proficiency in the English language is essential and, for courses at degree level or above, the University recognises the following English language qualifications:
- GCSE pass in English at Grade C or above
- IELTS with an average overall score of 6.0 with at least 5.5 in each component for undergraduate study, and 6.0 for postgraduate study with at least a 5.5 in each component
- TOEFL IBT minimum score for Undergraduate of 80 IBT and 88 for Postgraduate **
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): exams taken from January 2015 – overall score of 169 with at least 162 in each component for undergraduate study, and 176 for postgraduate study with at least 162 in each component; exams taken before January 2015 – Grade C and no less than borderline in each skill for undergraduate and postgraduate
- Trinity College English Language qualifications: ISE II Distinction or ISE III Pass for undergraduate courses; and ISE III Pass for postgraduate taught courses and research applications
- City and Guild’s IESOL/ISESOL tests at expert and mastery levels (C2 and C1) for the majority of postgraduate programmes. In some cases, we may also be able to accept the communicator level (B2) for undergraduate programmes
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with a minimum of 51 points in each element for the majority of undergraduate programmes and 67 points in each element for the majority of postgraduate programmes
Don’t worry if you do not meet these requirements!
We run a number of courses to prepare you for your studies. Please visit our Centre for International English pages for more information.
IELTS Online offer three interactive online preparation courses in all four IELTS modules. Enrol on one of these courses
Please note that international students applying for a Tier 4 student visa who will be studying at a course below degree level (this includes presessional English programmes, International Foundation Programmes, HNDs and foundation degrees) must have a Home Office approved Secure English Language Test.
**Non-EU students who require a visa should complete an English language test other than TOEFL or TOEIC. If you have any questions or queries about whether you can use an ETS TOEFL or TOEIC test to make a visa application, please email us.