English language requirements


In addition to the English language tests already approved and outlined on the University website, we can now accept the following for 2020 entry.


* Duolingo English Test
Please note that the overall scores shown above are indicative of the score required. Your whole test will be reviewed to provide us with a holistic assessment of your English language proficiency and to determine whether you are eligible for direct entry. Test samples will be reviewed by the University before being accepted. The Duolingo test is accepted on an interim basis for 2020 entry.

We also accept IELCA tests, using the following scores:

Direct entry:

IELCA Overall score = 32

Each component =30

Direct entry needing a higher IELTS score

IELCA Overall score = 35

Each component = 30

We are also accepting TOEFL ITP Plus as an interim measure

Courses requiring IELTS 6.0 overall with 5.5. in each component

TOEFL ITP Plus score

580 overall

Listening 54

Reading 56

Written Expression 53

Speaking sample marked by CIE


Courses requiring IELTS 6.5 overall with 5.5 in each component

TOEFL ITP Plus score:

610 overall

Listening 54

Reading 56

Written Expression 53

Speaking sample marked by CIE

Proficiency in the English language is essential and, for courses at degree level or above, the University recognises the following English language qualifications:

  • GCSE pass in English at Grade C or above

  • IELTS with an average overall score of 6.0 with at least 5.5 in each component 

  • TOEFL minimum score of 72**

  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): exams taken from January 2015 – overall score of 169 with at least 162 in each component; exams taken before January 2015 – Grade C and no less than borderline in each skill

  • Trinity College English Language qualifications: ISE II Distinction or ISE III Pass

  • City and Guilds IESOL/ISESOL tests at expert and mastery levels (C2 and C1) and in some cases the communicator level (B2)

  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with a minimum score of 50 overall with no less than 42 in each component 

Please note that a very small number of USW’s programmes require a higher IELTS score. Please see the individual course pages for details. 

Don’t worry if you do not meet these requirements!

We run a number of courses to prepare you for your studies. Please visit our Centre for International English pages for more information.

IELTS Online

IELTS Online offer three interactive online preparation courses in all four IELTS modules. Enrol on one of these courses


Please note that international students applying for a Tier 4 student visa who will be studying at a course below degree level (this includes presessional English programmes, International Foundation Programmes, HNDs and foundation degrees) must have a Home Office approved Secure English Language Test.

**An overall score of 72 is required (with a minimum of 18 in reading, 17 in listening, 20 in speaking and 17 in writing