Students and Benefits

Most full-time students will not be eligible to claim benefits, particularly those that rely on a means-test. However, some students may be entitled to apply for state benefits or tax credits, depending upon their income and circumstances. Some student funding will be taken into consideration when being assessed for benefits.

 Generally you may be able to claim if you:

  • Have responsibility for children
  • Have a disability and are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance, or Personal Independence Payment (this will usually be reviewed if you enrol onto a full time course)
  • You leave your course temporarily because of illness or caring responsibilities.
Some students may be able to get help with prescription,  dental and opticians charges. The support is dependent on where you live. Please see the relevant NHS site below for further information

NHS England

NHS Wales

All full-time students can apply for a Council Tax Exemption Form.

If you would like to check if you may be eligible for benefits, you should seek further advice from:

 How to apply for benefits and where to get further information

If you think that you are eligible and wish to apply for benefits you should contact your local Jobcentre Plus.

Further information regarding all benefits and eligibility can be found on the Government's website.

Information relating to welfare & health benefits for EU & International Students is available on the UKCISA website.

It is important that you inform your Jobcentre Plus office when you become a full-time student to ensure that you are not overpaid, further advice and information can be found here.

If you need any further information please Contact Us